Olaf Evjenth is a Norwegian physical therapist with international renown in the field of Manual Therapy. He has collaborated in the development of joint biomechanics based on the Manual Therapy system Kaltenborn-Evjenth. This system helped to create the standards of the International Federation of Orthopaedic Manual/Manipulative Physical Therapists (IFOMPT).
Evjenth has taught in Orthopaedic Manual Therapy all over the world for more than 50 years. He has also been an athlete and afterwards physiotherapist and trainer of the Norwegian national team of athletics.
Evjenth expanded Kaltenborn’s approach with specialized techniques for muscle stretching and coordination training. He also developed the symptoms localization tests for the evaluation in OMPT practice. For the treatment of patients he modified specific exercises to being used at home as automobilization, autostabilization and autostretching.
In collaboration with F. Kaltenborn, and the Norwegian Manual Therapy Group he made ergonomic innovations including mobilization wedges, fixation belts, and grips to make treatments more effective and less physically stressful for the therapist.
Kaltenborn and Evjenth presented the OMT Kaltenborn-Evjenth Concept worldwide in 1973, when they joined Cyriax, Hinsen and Stoddard to found the International Seminar of Orthopaedic Medicine/Manipulative Therapy.
Olaf Evjenth is author of texts and documents about manipulation, physical education, stretching and diagnosis in manual therapy:
- Provocation and alleviation of the symptoms test. O. Evjenth and R. Robinson
- Symptoms localization of the extremities and the spine. O. Evjenth and Gloeck
- Muscle Stretching in Manual Therapy: A Clinical Manual, volume 1. O. Evjenth and J. Hamberg Sweden 1998
- Muscle Stretching in Manual Therapy: A Clinical Manual, volume 2. O. Evjenth and J. Hamberg Sweden 1998
- Auto Stretching. The complete manual of specific stretching. O. Evjenth and J. Hamberg Sweden 1997
- Manual Mobilization of the JointsVolume I: Extremities. F. Kaltenbornin collaboration with O. Evjenth, T. Baldauf, D. Morgan, E. Vollowitz. Norway 2012.
- Manual Mobilization of the Joints Volume II: The Spine. F. Kaltenbornin collaboration with O. Evjenth, T. Baldauf, D. Morgan, E. Vollowitz. Norway 2012.
- TranslatoricSpinal Manipulation for Physical Therapists. J. Krauss, O. Evjenth and D. Creighton. 2006
- Estiramiento y autoestiramiento muscular en Fisioterapia OMT. Volumen I: Extremidades. Tricás, JM; Hidalgo, C; Lucha, O; Evjenth, O. Spain, 2012.
The king award him recently with the Gold Medal for his merits in his long career of Physiotherapy and Manual Therapy, and his efforts as an athlete and a trainer.